The present-day Thomson-McDuffie County Library has served area residents since 1937. Known as Thomson Community Library at its inception, it was originally located in the Woman's Club building on the site of the old Masonic Lodge. The Woman's Club eventually gave the library and the building to the city of Thomson. In addition to housing the library, the Woman's Club building was also used by local garden clubs and other organizations for their meetings.
Thomson Community Library joined Bartram Trail Regional Library System in 1974. In 1980 the library moved into a renovated U.S. Post Office Building on Main Street. After only five years in this 2,500 square foot building, use of the library more than doubled, forcing it to seek out yet another new home.
In 1987, the Thomson-McDuffie County Board of Trustees, chaired by Don McCorkle, cooperated with city and county government and private donors to provide funding for a new 13,500 square foot facility at its current address, 338 Main Street. At this time the library was named the Thomson-McDuffie County Library to acknowledge the City of Thomson's heightened involvement in the library and its operation.
The Friends support the library staff and promote the library's programs in the community. Special projects sponsored by the friends include:
- Book Fairs
- Summer Reading Clubs
- Used Book Sales
Please check our Events Calendar for meeting dates.
Visit your local library to fill out an application. Please check our Events Calendar for a schedule of meetings.
338 Main Street - Thomson, GA 30824
8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
10 AM - 4 PM